MyBackJack Administrative Portal
On the left-hand side of the web page, you'll note a series of links to assist you with various portal functions. Let's begin with managing the Users under your Account.
Manage Users (includes assigning storage to Users)
In order to manage the Users via your Account, click on the 'Manage Users' link. Once there, you'll note a screenshot similar to the following:
Here's a quick summary and description of the fields:
- Username - the name given to each User (Mac) under your Account. The first Username is assigned by us and is the same as your Account ID. All subsequent Users that you add to your Account will be named by you. Each Username is a link where you can 'edit/view user details'. If you need to assign additional storage blocks to a User, it can be done via this link.
- Dept ID (optional) - used to assign users to various departments within your Company
- Last Access - the last time each User performed a backup
- 10 GB Blocks In Use - the number of 10 GB blocks in use for each User. We also provide an Account total for this column.
- GBs Selected for Backup - the number of GBs each User has selected for backup (via their main backup window). We also provide an Account total for this column.
- Removing Users (trash icon) - this provides you with the ability to remove users on your Account
- Filters - Administrators can easily filter Users via this window as well. You'll note fields at the top that allow you to filter according to Username, Dept ID, Last Access, 10 GB blocks in use, and GBs selected for backup.
Assigning Storage to Existing Users - in order to assign storage to a User, you will require both an 'Unused' User and Storage Block. You can confirm this availability by reviewing the summary chart at the top of your portal web page.
- Click on the Username requiring additional storage
- Enter the total number of storage blocks you would like this user to have in the '10 GB Storage Blocks' field. (this total includes the storage they already have assigned for use, plus any additional blocks of storage that you are now adding to their Username)
- Click on the Submit button at the bottom of the page
- You will be taken back to the Manage Users page where you can view the assigned storage blocks for each user by looking under the '10 GB Blocks In Use' heading.
- Launch BackJack and click on the Refresh icon to the left of the 'Available' field, so that the software can be updated by the portal of your now increased storage limit. The interactive bar will calculate the storage requirements, if it is green you have enough storage space for the files you have selected in your backup set, if it is red, you do not have enough storage space for the files you have selected. You will either need to purchase more storage space (10 GB blocks) or reduce your backup set by deleting files you have selected under your 'Items to Backup Field'.
Removing or Migrating Users - you have the ability to remove or migrate Users on your Account by clicking on the trash can icon shown to the right of each user (Manage Users screen). Once you click on the trash can, your options will be as follows:
Deactivate in 30 days - this Username and its stored files will be removed from our storage servers 30 days from today's date. If you choose this option, you will not be able to use this 'freed up' User until it goes into deactivated status within our system (ie. 30 days from deactivation date). This means that your 'In Use' Users and 10 GB storage blocks will remain the same for 30 days after which, they will then increase by one (1).
Deactivate immediately - this Username and its stored files will be removed immediately from our storage servers (there is no reversing this action). If you choose this option, you will be able to use this 'freed up' User immediately (ie. the 'Unused' User and Storage columns increase by one (1) immediately.
Migrate User - This is done to retain the contents of this Username (short-term) so that you can configure a new User (without incurring additional charges on the Account.). This User and its contents will then be permanently purged from our servers in 30 days. You will be able to configure a new User along with the same amount of storage (or less). Important: you cannot create a new User using the same name as the migrated Username. Once you migrate a User, you will note how this migrated user appears at the top of your 'Manage Users' window as follows:
If you have purchased additional Users, you now need to add them to your Account. In order to add/configure a new User on your Account, click on the 'Add User' link. Note: you need to have both an 'Unused' User and available 10 GB Storage block on your Account in order to proceed. If not, you will receive an error message. You may purchase additional Users or deactivate any Users that are no longer in use". If you need to purchase more Users and/or Storage, click on the 'Buy More' link and, once complete, return to the 'Add User' link. If you have an unused User and Storage block, then you can proceed with adding the new User as follows:
- Enter the new Username (note, it must unique from the other Usernames currently on the Account)
- Enter the number of 10 GB Storage blocks you would like given to this User
- Enter the User's full name
- Enter their email address
- If you would like this person to receive an emailed invitation, activate the 'Send Email Invitation' checkbox
- Enter their Dept ID (optional)
- Enter and re-type a password that they will use during initial software installation
- If you would like this User to be forced to change the password you are assigning to them (for security), ensure the 'Force Password Change' is activated
Once you click on the 'Submit' button an email will be automatically sent to the email address you designated for this person. If you selected 'Force Password Change', then the original password you designated will be shown in its entirety via the email. They will then change it during the initial installation of BackJack and it will then be secure and known only to them. If you opted to not have them change the password, then only limited portions will be shown in the email that is sent to them. In this case, you will need to provide them with the full password.
Sample Invitation Email
This email has been sent to you from Account Owner <email address>. This person has a BackJack account and has created a new User for your use. They are now inviting you to use BackJack Online Backup Service for the offsite protection of your valuable Mac files. To use BackJack, please proceed as follows:
1. Please click on this link to download the BackJack software: http://download.backjack.com/BackJack5.dmg
2. Install BackJack and proceed through the Setup Assistant process. You will select 'Already have an Account'. For security purposes, this email contains a one-time use password that you will be asked to change once your go through the Setup process. You will need the following information for Setup Assistant:
BackJack Account ID: julie
* You have been provided with 1 block(s) of storage (10 GB each).
* Documentation is available via the software's Help feature or via our online Support link.
We believe strongly in supporting our service. Although BackJack was designed with simplicity in mind, we are more than happy to personally guide you through the installation of BackJack and configuring your backup. If this is preferable for you, we invite you to contact us directly (phone support is available between 10 am and 6pm Eastern (7 am - 3 pm Pacific) Monday through Friday.