Reinstalling BackJack v4
The documentation below is for reinstalling BackJack after a disaster (ie. you have already performed backups and are storing data on our servers).
ACTION: Once you have downloaded/installed the software, you can begin by launching the BackJack application.
This will guide you through the Setup Assistant process and help you to rebuild your file list currently stored on our servers.
You must have the following information available before starting this process:
- your BackJack Account ID
- your password for your BackJack account
- your computer ID
- the passphrase used to encrypt and decrypt files on your computer
You need to enter the same account information that was entered the first time you set up BackJack for this computer. The following table describes the entries you see when setting up your identification for BackJack:
- Account ID - This is your BackJack Account ID - Takes the form of 3 characters and a series of either 4 or 5 numbers (ie. ABC1234 or ABC12345)
- Password - This is your password for the Account. If you do not know your password or want to change it, please call us at 888 421 0220. The password is case sensitive.
- Computer ID - the name that identifies your computer (this would have been assigned by you). The computer ID is case sensitive and CANNOT BE LEFT BLANK!!!
ACTION: Enter the information and click CONTINUE. Except for the Computer ID, these fields can be left blank if you do not have all of the information available at this time. You can enter this information later via BackJack's Preferences window.
- Computer ID Empty - The Computer ID field cannot be left blank and will show "-EnterNewComputerId-" if you try to proceed with an empty field. Enter the name that you have been using to identify your computer (ie. G4, JoeMac, etc.).
ACTION: Enter the Computer ID and click CONTINUE. The other fields can be left blank if you do not have all of the information available at this time. You can enter this information later via BackJack's Preferences window.
BackJack will automatically send a confirmation email after each completed backup session to any addresses you enter (the default setting is to NOT receive the confirmation emails). If you wish to receive these emails, activate the checkbox and enter both an email address and an SMTP server address. Your SMTP server address will be available via your email account settings or via your system administrator.
If you do not wish to receive email notifications, ensure that the checkbox remains deactivated.
ACTION: Enter the Passphrase that you originally used when you first set up BackJack. It must be entered exactly the same. If you do not know your original Passphrase, there is no way to recover your files. This field is case sensitive.
ACTION: Click Continue to complete the Setup Assistant process.
ACTION: Click Done to get ready to now rebuild your list of files from our servers.
Rebuilding your File List
To recover your files from the BackJack servers, you must first rebuild your list of stored files. From the main Console window, select the Maintenance button.
ACTION: Using the pulldown menu, select 'Rebuild List' and click 'Start' to begin rebuilding your list of files from our servers.
After the Rebuild
Once your file list has been rebuilt you can now attempt to recover your data back to your Mac which is done via BackJack's Recover window
ACTION: OK the Rebuild List Complete message and close the Maintenance window. From the main Console window, go ahead and click on the Recover button.
We recommend selecting a single file or folder to begin with just to test whether or not there are any encryption issues. If you need complete details on the Recover process, please visit our Recover link.
IMPORTANT: If you attempt to recover a file or folder and BackJack does not successfully place the contents of the recovery in the destination location, then the passphrase you used during the reinstallation process was incorrect. BackJack was unable to successfully decrypt your info as a result. This requires you to re-attempt the entire process as follows:
Here are the steps to try again using a different passphrase:
- quit BackJack if currently running/open
- locate the BackJack folder which is located via Users/<yourlogin>/Library folder
- take the entire BackJack folder located in this location and drag to the trash
- relaunch the BackJack application to proceed once again with the reinstallation process
- again, once you are done with Setup Assistant, you will first rebuild the file list (via the Maintenance window) and finally attempt to recover a file via the Recover window.