This feature allows you to review and edit some General Preference settings. When you select 'Preferences' from the BackJack5 menu, a new window presents you with:
- Account ID, Username and Email address (where confirmation emails are sent)
- Change Password button- this allows you to change the current password assigned to your Username
- Test Encryption button - this is done to ensure you know the Encryption Passphrase for your Username
- Maximum Log size - default setting is 1 MB before the Log gets automatically cleared
- Software Update checkbox - if you want BackJack to ensure you are running the most recent version each time it connects to the remote servers
- Local Settings location - the BackJack5 folder has a default location of Users/<homedirectory>/Library
The email address shown in your Preferences window is where your automated confirmation emails will be sent. If you would like it sent to a different email address (or to multiple addresses) this can be done via MyBackJack (Manage Users). To enter multiple addresses, simply separate them with commas (ie. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
If your User Password has been compromised in any way and/or needs to be updated, enter your new password here.
You must proceed with testing your Encryption Passphrase (when you convert from a free account to a subscription) if:
- you have performed uploads via your free account User (ie. you are storing files on our servers as a result of these uploads) AND
- you opted to keep this User during the subscription process so that you can continue on with its uploads
At the point you installed the BackJack software and proceeded through the Setup process, you created an Encryption Passphrase. Since we have no way of knowing what you entered, you must proceed through the process of testing the passphrase so that you can be certain, in the event of disaster, you are able to retrieve your files from our servers.
If you opted to remove your free account User via the subscription process and are starting anew, you will not need to proceed with the passphrase testing. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
You can set the maximum size of your BackJack Log here. The log provides detailed analysis of backup sessions and assists in diagnosing any potential problems that you may be encountering with your backups. You can access the BackJack Log by selecting 'Log' in the Window menu or by pressing <command>+'L'. The minimum size of your BackJack Log is 1 MB.
Software Update (automatic)
If you have the 'Keep software up to date' checkbox activated within your Preferences window, then BackJack will automatically ensure that you are always running the most recent version of our software. This check occurs during the start of each new backup session.
Software Update (manual)
Under the BackJack5 menu at the top left of your screen, you can select 'Check for Update' to connect to our servers. This process will ensure that you are running the most recent version of our software (and would be necessary if you do not have the 'Keep software up to date' checkbox activated and/or have experienced problems with an automated update).