Getting Started with Setup Assistant
Welcome! The documentation below is for first time installation of BackJack. If you need to reinstall BackJack and rebuild your file list from our servers, please refer to Reinstalling BackJack
ACTION: Open the BackJack application by double clicking on the icon.
When you launch BackJack for the first time you will be guided through our Setup Assistant (only appears the first time you launch BackJack). This allows you to enter pertinent information that you will need to use BackJack. If you encounter problems or need further clarification, call us at 1-888-421-0220 (Canada & US)/+1 519 650 1559 (Internationally) or email email@example.com
ACTION: Click on Continue to begin.
Account Information - You are required to enter 3 pieces of information:
- Account ID - This is the ID number that was automatically emailed to you once you completed the online registration process - this ID is generated by using the first 3 characters or digits of your email address followed by 4 or 5 numbers (ie. JOE1234 or JOE27039) - if you did not receive this email once you registered, please contact us
- Password - This is the password that you entered during the online registration process. The password is case sensitive, so please enter exactly as you entered it during registration
- Computer ID - enter a name of your choice that simply identifies your computer (ie. G4, JoeMac, etc.) - your login name will appear as the default setting - you can keep this or edit if you prefer something different. This field CANNOT BE LEFT BLANK!!!
ACTION: Enter the information and click CONTINUE. Except for Computer Id, these fields can be left blank if you do not have all of the information available at this time. You can enter this information later via BackJack's Preferences window.
Computer ID Empty - The Computer ID field cannot be left blank and will show "-EnterNewComputerId-" if you try to proceed with an empty field. Enter a name of your choice that simply identifies your computer (ie. G4, JoeMac, etc.) - your login name will appear as the default setting - you can keep this or edit if you prefer something different.
ACTION: Enter the Computer ID and click CONTINUE. The other fields can be left blank if you do not have all of the information available at this time. You can enter this information later via BackJack's Preferences window.
Email Information - BackJack will automatically send a confirmation email after each completed backup session to any addresses you enter (the default setting is to NOT receive the confirmation emails). If you wish to receive these emails, activate the checkbox. You will note how BackJack automatically inserts your SMTP server address.
If you do not wish to receive email notifications, ensure that the checkbox remains deactivated.
ACTION: Enter the information and click CONTINUE.
Encryption - It is here that a 128-bit encryption key will be generated (based on a password or phrase that you enter) which will be used by BackJack to encrypt and decrypt files on your computer. This is a very important step in the process and you must document the password or phrase you use. You can use spaces if desired.
- Password or Phrase - This word or phrase must be a MINIMUM of 4 characters long. Enter a phrase that is easy for you to remember.
- Verify Password or Phrase - Once you have entered your password or phrase, we ask that you verify it by entering it again. If the two entries do not match, you will receive an error message.
ACTION: Once you have entered this information, click Continue.
Conclusion - You have just successfully gone through the Setup Assistant and your encryption key has now been generated. This key cannot be changed; however, you can test it via BackJack Preferences (future versions). You may change your Account and Email information (also via BackJack's Preferences Window).
ACTION: Once you are ready to continue, click DONE. You will now be at the BackJack Console window. You can click on the Backups button to begin configuring your backup set(s).
IMPORTANT: Please make sure you have documented the pertinent information that you just entered during the Setup Assistant Process. You must know this information in the event of reinstalling BackJack and rebuilding your list of files from our servers. We can assist you with everything except the word or phrase you used to create your encryption key.