Creating a Free Account
- Any PowerPC or Intel Macintosh (desktop, portable, server, etc.)
- OS X - v10.4.10 or greater (Snow Leopard compatible)
- An internet connection
- If you have not already done so, download the Version 5 software
- Once the download is complete, the disk image window (BackJack5.dmg) will open automatically
- Double click on the BackJack5 Installer icon to be guided conveniently through the installation process
The Setup Assistant is designed to guide you through:
- signing up for a Free Account (if you are installing and using BackJack for the first time)
- re-installing BackJack (if you need to rebuild your list of previously backed-up files)
- using BackJack as a result of receiving an 'Invitation' from a current Account owner
Important: The instructions below pertain to the first-time installation of BackJack. If you are reinstalling BackJack, please click here for instructions. If you have been invited to use BackJack, please click here for instructions.
Action: Select 'Create Free Account' and click Continue to begin.
Request Your Free Account
Action: Request your Free Account by entering and re-typing your email address. The promotion code field is optional (complete only if you have been given an assigned Code).
If you enter an email address that is already associated with an existing Account, you will receive a warning message. You can proceed to create a new Account using this same email address OR simply click on the 'Go Back' button to select 'Already have an Account'. It's possible that you are attempting to create a new Account when your intention is to rebuild your list of previously backed up files via the original Account.
Activate Your Free Account
Action: Enter the Free Account Activation Code found in your email. Proceed with entering and re-typing a password (8 characters minimum) and selecting your Country location.
Encryption Passphrase Setup
To help you create a secure passphrase, we've implemented a feature that lets you know how safe your Encryption Passphrase is as soon as you create it. You can proceed ONLY IF your passphrase is Fair, Good or Strong. Otherwise, the 'Continue' button remains greyed out. To assist you with learning more about creating a strong passphrase, please refer to the Guidelines link for tips.
Note: your Encryption Passphrase must be at least 8 characters in length.
Action: Enter and re-type an Encryption Passphrase. Note that you cannot copy the 'Passphrase' field and enter it into the Re-type Passphrase' field. The hint field is optional, but highly recommended.
The hint cannot be the passphrase. Otherwise, you will receive the following error message.
You are now finished the Setup Assistant process.
You are now ready to begin. If you need assistance, please refer to the built-in documentation (i.e. Help Menu --> BackJack Help), or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org